Monday, November 12, 2012

Drawing Close To God

The easiest way to discern if something is a counterfeit is to know what the real thing looks like. The better you know the Lord, the less likely you are to be fooled by someone or something falsely representing him.// Pastor Duane Vander Klok




So true. And this brings to mind the whole process of getting to know the "real thing". I've thought on this soo many times in my life - frustrated over and over again wondering how we are to discern things, how to know what examples to leave- how to "get to know God".
In the past, I'd give up repeatedly using a pathetic excuse of "if they want me to understand, it should be easier to understand". I'd flip the bible open, but then close it just as quickly. I wanted something instant with no effort on my part. Mind you, we don't earn salvation, but building a relationship follows and building any kind of relationship takes some work. You have to put some effort into it and go into it with a sincere mindset and a positive expectation. Get into the word truly expecting, by faith, that you're going to get something out of it. Even if you don't understand it, read it, speak it, and claim it. You'll be surprised at how the confirmations start coming and how complex things become simple.
 I've learned that it's not by my own understanding that I will become closer to God. If that were true, then the ability to get to know God would be limited and different for each person. That's not what is promised to us though. It's by our true desire and blind step of faith that God reaches out and draws you to Him. It's about your heart!  Where is your heart at when you begin to seek? Are you doubting before you've even started? Are you skeptical? You'll get out of it what you put into it. Go in with your heart ready. If not by choice, than by circumstance: you will eventually find yourself on your knees with no other place to look. 
There's no better way to understand a book than to get to know and understand the author. Seek Him first, and all the rest will be given to you. Allow an actual relationship with God to develop - and you'll know what isn't of him, and you'll want nothing but Him. ♥ If all you know to say and can understand to say tonight is "Father, I want to know you. Show yourself to me", than you've said it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read each of these comments with excitement knowing that I will either gain confirmation or suggestions! God bless you!